Saturday, July 25, 2009

The bitter taste of disappointment


I'll never forget the crushing disappointment I felt yesterday, when the result for the Norwich by election was announced. I actually thought I had mis-heard it or that the returning officer had made a balls up. But no, he actually said '36'.

I speak as a rank and file member, one who has just recently joined. I'm far detached from the inner workings and the activist side of things. I spread the word to friends and work colleagues, I run a blog. That's as far as I go. To be honest, that's as far as I want to go for the time being. Family and work comes first. Plus, the finger pointing and the 'why did no one listen to me' crap being spouted last night really pissed me off and has seriously put me off from being anything other than an 'ordinary' member.

But a member I shall remain!

All I can do is keep spreading the word and support the party when and where I can.

I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow libertarians next Saturday in Edinburgh. (I've never met one, what are they like?) Provided I don't get lost though, as I haven't been in Edinburgh for over thirty years!

Onwards and upwards!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need a mainstream weapon like the Tory's to win against Labour, Rab. I don't care about their policies, fuck it, they can be voted out as well if they annoy the tits off people once in power.

But parties like LPUK and UKIP can grow after the general election, and there are a fair few libertarian views in what UKIP are doing.

It's good that you have faith. Keeping an eye or two on LPUKs growth over the coming years.
36 votes are better than none, that's 36 more people who are aware and favour them.

Anonymous said...

'they can be voted out as well if they annoy the tits off people once in power'
Oh yes - when will that be? 2015?
That's something to look forward to then.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting the 'Tory out' 2015 placards ready now.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Look forward to meeting you in person then....

Captain Ranty said...

Don't be too downhearted Rab. It's a helluva challenge to launch a new party even though you couldn't fit a fag paper between the LibLabCon drones. The Greens are a waste of oxygen. The two most exciting and revitalising parties are UKIP and LPUK. You watch. People are getting angrier by the day with those long established fuckwits.

I hate to get all Obama-esque on you but it really is time for change. Real change.

Young Tom was blooded, and I hope he is not bowed. He did well.

Next time he will do better.

Unknown said...

As an ex labour wank.. ...er...voter I have been looking around for a party that holds views that run akin to mine and so far all I can see is UKIP. I don't care if they are the under dog in my constituency as long as I can feel good about myself. Your party of choice Rab will have to bide their time, Glasgow was not built in a day, as the Romans used to say.

PS: They have two heads ya know! Seriously though, I meet with fellow F2C'rs every month just outside Leeds and it's always great to see faces behind nicknames/pseudonyms, you'll have a great day.

Dr Evadne said...

Does anyone know what Jerremy Clarkson said about Reich Fuhrer Brown on the beeb the other night? It wasn't aired but it is getting everyone hot under the collar again. All it says on the BBc website is that it was a one word swear word. Do you think they will be giving away a Blue Peter badge for those who guess what the word was?

Obnoxio The Clown said...

"I've never met one, what are they like?"

Unfortunately, they're just like you! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Spreading the word to work colleagues or indoctrinating them? I started my job as a liberal lefty and finished up as a state-hating cynic!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so going to hate what I have to say here (I think).

What LPUK needs more than anything right now is the endorsement of a celebrity. Preferably one who isn't a total fucking idiot. but someone who can put the idea into people's heads that LPUK is something they might consider.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Im working on that...

Conan the Librarian™ said...

Is this a piss up Rab?
Can anyone come, or is it just for Libertarians? Librarian is pretty close...

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Anyone can come

J Clarkson called Gorgon a cunt

Conan the Librarian™ said...

Pot, kettle.

Whereabouts then?

Henry North London 2.0 said...

If you join us I think this meeting is for the Libertarians who have already joined

Its a tenner Or are you a rabid SNP er?

Conan the Librarian™ said...

Not a member, but would very much like to see a Scots Republic.Does that bar me?